Enterprise Storage & Backup Tech Lead Web and 'Big' data managed services
We have an exciting opening for a bright, talented and passionate Lead systems engineer responsible for 2nd/3rd line support of large scale hosted and on-premise managed services involving Big Data analytics in a virtualised and later, containerised environment, able to deliver as well as direct support effort covering enterprise storage & backup. The role will also involve assisting in the implementation of new projects, enhancements and changes to existing projects and services. Experience of problem determination and trouble shooting in a complex environment is vital as is the ability to work under pressure. The role is a key part of a 7 by 24 worldwide support operation covering systems in UK and USA so flexibility on working hours is required.
As part of a Managed Services infrastructure support and solution architect team you will be directing support within a team of local and remote system engineers, collaborating to ensure availability, performance, reliability, and security for our hosted and on-premises managed systems. As well as contributing to storage architecture design and upgrade strategies.
About the Job
You must be a motivated, client-focused professional with excellent communication and troubleshooting skills and you should have a strong interest in technology. You must be confident in your communication skills and you need to be able to adapt to the various nuances that come with working in multiple regions. Together with the other members of the support team, you will need to take ownership, troubleshoot, and resolve direct and indirect client support requests in a timely and professional manner.
- Responsible for 2nd/3rd line support of large scale hosted and on-premises managed services involving Big Data analytics in a virtualised and later, containerised environment.
- Able to deliver as well as direct support effort covering enterprise storage and enterprise storage backup.
- The role will also involve assisting in implementation of new projects, enhancements and changes to existing projects and services.
- The role is a key part of part of 24/7 worldwide support operation covering systems in UK and USA, hence flexibility on working hours is required.
- Experience of problem determination and trouble shooting in a complex environment is vital as is the ability to work under pressure.
- Storage architecture design and upgrade strategies.
Skills & Requirements
- Monitoring and maintenance of storage and backup infrastructures including performing regularly scheduled and emergency maintenance.
- Advanced understanding backup job scheduling for file system, application and database backups including data transmission rates and compression algorithms.
- Proactively look to improve and add efficiency to current processes and exercise judgment in the decision-making process in order to provide consistent customer service.
- Monitor and maintain storage infrastructures globally working with vendors to resolve hardware / software issues.
- Own the most complex technical issues.
- Proven technical leadership, facilitating, influencing and mentoring skills.
- A rounded individual who is passionate about both technology and leadership.
- Higher level education, degree from college or university or ability to prove an aptitude for structured academic learning.
- Commercial appreciation, working within the constraints of running a commercial business.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working collaboratively with systems engineers, developers, administrators, and business partners.
- Experience of delivery managed service to external business customers.
- Understanding and experience of working under an ITIL framework.
- Adaptable, working as part of a supportive, well established team but is also self-sufficient and organised, with meticulous attention to detail.
- A natural problem solver.
- Professional and mature under pressure, able to motivate the team and lead from the front.
- Documentation and change control in corporate environment.
- Understanding and experience of working in secure environments under ISO27001 or equivalent.
Must Have Technical Skills
- Clustered filesystem and/or large scale NFS.
- Software defined storage configuration and management.
- Scripting languages for tools development (Python, shell).
- Advanced knowledge of Data restoration strategies in a large-scale multi-platform infrastructure and specific knowledge of backup job scheduling for file system Microsoft Windows Server and Linux Redhat, databases including Microsoft SQL, Oracle and Mysql.
- Good knowledge of current industry standard backup best practices and terminology – backup levels, file system vs. application backup methods, snapshots, etc.
- Installation, configuration and troubleshooting of Networker backup on complex large-scale customer infrastructures within large-scale enterprise infrastructure.
- Advanced understanding of tape libraries (Spectra Logic).
- Advanced understanding of disk libraries (Data Domain, Isilon).
- Demonstrated experience managing enterprise level storage solutions.
- Advanced EMC VMAX Array administration.
- Advanced technical knowledge in storage methodologies, design, and implementation.
- Advanced working knowledge of fiber channel SANS.
- Demonstrated experience of architecting new enterprise storage and backup solutions and strategies for upgrading existing solutions.
Additional Technical Skills
- Linux systems (preferably RHEL) configuration and management.
- Configuration automation e.g., Puppet/Ansible.
- VMware VSphere, HyperV.
- Networking set up including simple routing and firewall.
- Containers & Kubernetes.