Enterprise Storage & Backup Tech Lead
We have an exciting opening for a bright, talented and passionate Lead systems engineer with 10+ years’ experience responsible for 2nd/3rd line support of large scale hosted and on-premises managed services involving Big Data analytics in a virtualised and later, containerised environment, able to deliver as well as direct support effort covering enterprise storage & backup. The role will also involve assisting in the implementation of new projects, enhancements and changes to existing projects and services. Experience of problem determination and trouble shooting in a complex environment is vital as is the ability to work under pressure. The role is a key part of a 7 by 24 worldwide support operation covering systems in UK and USA so flexibility on working hours is required.
As part of a Managed Services infrastructure support and solution architect team you will be directing support within a team of local and remote system engineers, collaborating to ensure availability, performance, reliability, and security for our hosted and on-premises managed systems. As well as contributing to storage architecture design and upgrade strategies.
- Responsible for 2nd/3rd line support of large scale hosted and on-premises managed services involving Big Data analytics in a virtualised and later, containerised environment.
- Able to deliver as well as direct support effort covering enterprise storage and enterprise storage backup.
- The role will also involve assisting in implementation of new projects, enhancements and changes to existing projects and services.
- The role is a key part of part of 24/7 worldwide support operation covering systems in UK and USA, hence flexibility on working hours is required.
- Experience of problem determination and trouble shooting in a complex environment is vital as is the ability to work under pressure.
- Storage architecture design and upgrade strategies.
Skills & Requirements
- Monitoring and maintenance of storage and backup infrastructures including performing regularly scheduled and emergency maintenance.
- Advanced understanding backup job scheduling for file system, application and database backups including data transmission rates and compression algorithms.
- Proactively look to improve and add efficiency to current processes and exercise judgment in the decision-making process in order to provide consistent customer service.
- Monitor and maintain storage infrastructures globally working with vendors to resolve hardware / software issues.
- Own the most complex technical issues.
- Proven technical leadership, facilitating, influencing and mentoring skills.
- A rounded individual who is passionate about both technology and leadership.
- Higher level education, degree from college or university or ability to prove an aptitude for structured academic learning.
- Commercial appreciation, working within the constraints of running a commercial business.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working collaboratively with systems engineers, developers, administrators, and business partners.
- Experience of delivery managed service to external business customers.
- Understanding and experience of working under an ITIL framework.
- Adaptable, working as part of a supportive, well established team but is also self-sufficient and organised, with meticulous attention to detail.
- A natural problem solver.
- Professional and mature under pressure, able to motivate the team and lead from the front.
- Documentation and change control in corporate environment.
- Understanding and experience of working in secure environments under ISO27001 or equivalent.
Essential technical skills
- Clustered filesystem and/or large scale NFS.
- Software defined storage configuration and management.
- Scripting languages for tools development (Python, shell).
- Advanced knowledge of Data restoration strategies in a large-scale multi-platform infrastructure and specific knowledge of backup job scheduling for file system Microsoft Windows Server and Linux Redhat, databases including Microsoft SQL, Oracle and Mysql.
- Good knowledge of current industry standard backup best practices and terminology – backup levels, file system vs. application backup methods, snapshots, etc.
- Installation, configuration and troubleshooting of Networker backup on complex large-scale customer infrastructures within large-scale enterprise infrastructure.
- Advanced understanding of tape libraries (Spectra Logic).
- Advanced understanding of disk libraries (Data Domain, Isilon).
- Demonstrated experience managing enterprise level storage solutions.
- Advanced EMC VMAX Array administration.
- Advanced technical knowledge in storage methodologies, design, and implementation.
- Advanced working knowledge of fiber channel SANS.
- Demonstrated experience of architecting new enterprise storage and backup solutions and strategies for upgrading existing solutions.
Additional Technical Skills
- Linux systems (preferably RHEL) configuration and management.
- Configuration automation e.g., Puppet/Ansible.
- VMware VSphere, HyperV.
- Networking set up including simple routing and firewall.
- Containers & Kubernetes.